How Bed Bugs Find You While You Sleep
Most people figure out they have bed bugs when it is too late and they are waking up to find bed bug bites on open areas of their skin. Bed bugs need to feed on human blood to survive and will normally feed during the evening hours when you are sleeping. Bed bugs have an enzyme within their saliva that works as a numbing agent allowing them to go undetected while they feed on you during the night.
Spotting bed bugs can be quite challenging as they are very fast and sneaky and like to hide in the seams of clothing, bedding, furniture and anything fabric. The bugs find humans quite easily as they are attracted to the carbon dioxide you breathe at night which allows them to find their meal which is your blood. Bed bugs like to live close to areas humans frequent such as bedding and furniture as it gives them quick access to a fast meal at night. Here are some bed bug treatment tips;
Bed Bug Treatment Tips
- Use bed bug mattress covers on all beds.
- Locate the source of the infestation which is usually within the mattress, bedding, furniture or flooring.
- Use bed bug dusts around home.
- Ensure walls, flooring and baseboards are properly sealed to prevent living quarters for the bed bugs.
- Place bed bug traps in each room.
- Launder clothing and anything fabric regularly.
The most important thing when dealing with bed bugs is to locate the source of the infestation and start the bed bug treatment in this area as you will prevent further duplication which increases your chances of a total kill. Typically with bed bugs you will find a couple areas where they are congregating as they like to live together in groups and hide well in the seams of bedding, mattresses and anything made of fabric.